SIGHTSEEING ON THE LAKE
and Tremezzo are situated in the central zone of the
lake, they give the opportunity of many excursions in
any directions and for any taste.
from Cadenabbia by Ferry which in summer runs frequently,
about every 30 minutes starting from 6.10 a.m. (7.05
Bellagio is situated in front of Cadenabbia and Tremezzo
on the watershed of the peninsula that divides the lake
into two branches. Typical are its porches and the step
lanes that take you from shore to the upper part of
the village, along which are many little shops for tourists.
OF INTEREST: Gardens of villa Melzi open from 9.00
to 6.30. Gardens of villa Serbelloni; only guided tours
at 10,30 and 4.00 p.m. (booking at Bellagio tourist
by Ferry from Cadenabbia. In summer it runs frequently
starting form 6.55 (7.05 on Sundays).
Varenna is situated on the Lecco branch of the lake
and has kept the characteristic of the ancient fishermen
OF INTEREST: gardens of villa Monastero and villa
Cipressi open from 9.30 to 12.30 and from 3.00 to 6.30
In Varenna there is the railway station on the line
Milan- Lecco- Sondrio.
by boat from Tremezzo and Cadenabbia.
Piona is situated into a cove on the north east side
of the lake, on the Lecco branch. It gives the possibility
to enjoy a still uncontaminated sight of the environment.
OF INTEREST: the Romanesque Abbey kept by Cistercian
by private ferry from Sala Comacina.
It is the lake only island of high historical and archaeological
interest. The island is almost uninhabited. There is
a typical restaurant, which is famous for its coffee
by private ferry from Sala Comacina.
It was built on the very top of the Lavedo height and
previously it was a Monastery. In 1700 Cardinal Durini
turned it into a de-luxe villa.
owner, Guido Monzino, restored and enriched it with
a precious collection of art and relics of his explorer
expeditions to the North Pole and Mount Everest. Nowadays
it belongs to the F.A.I. (Italian Foundation for the
preservation of the Environment and of Monuments) and
it is open to the public every day except on Mondays
and Wednesdays from 10.00 to 12.30 and from 3.30 to
Only guided tours inside the villa.
by boat from Cadenabbia or Tremezzo.
Como is the Capital Province Town of the area and it
is situated at the end of the west-south branch of the
OF INTEREST: the Duomo in Lombard Gothic
style enriched with internal and external sculptures
by Tomaso Rodari and Pompeo Marchesi. Inside it is possible
to admire some paintings by Gaudenzio Ferrari, Bernardino
Luini, Morazzone and a collection of ancient tapestries.
The dome, by Juvarra, has been recently restored. The
Basilica di San Fedele, in Lombard style with
Romanesque apse. Inside there are some frescoes by G.
Ferrari and paintings by Cantoni and Scaria. The Basilica
of S. Abbondio, in Lombard style, built in the 11th
century. The Basilica of S. Carpoforo, possibly
built on the ruins of a Roman temple dedicated to Mercury
toward the end of the 4th century. The Castel
Baradello built in 1158 by the German emperor Fredric
The Tempio Voltiano, where are preserved the
historical relics and the technical instruments of Alessandro
Volta. Open from 10.00 to 12.00 and from 2.00 to 4.00
p.m. except on Mondays.
The Museum of Archaeology and Art Gallery: open
from 2.15 to 5.00 p.m. except on Mondays. Sundays: from
9.15 to 12.15.
by boat from Cadenabbia or Tremezzo. Gravedona is the
most Important settlement on the western upper coast
of lake Como.
OF INTEREST: Church of Santa Maria del Tiglio, built
on a pre-existent paleo-Christian (early Christian)
Baptistery. Parish church of S. Vincent, of the 11th
century. Palazzo Gallio, built by Cardinal Gallio in
1583. The Romanesque church of the Saints Giusmeo and
Matteo, the church and convent of S. Maria delle Grazie.
The Oratory of S. Abbondio.
of guided visits to all the Romanesque Churches is available.
For booking and informations call Cooperativa Imago-
Dongo, tel. 0344 / 82572.